Medical alert jewelry is vital for individuals suffering from a host of conditions such as stroke, heart conditions, epilepsy, etcetera, as well as many cancer survivors, and medical alert bracelets for women are very popular. Every woman who has had breast cancer, for instance, must wear medical alert jewelry in case of an emergency, as it could save her life, and the chosen jewelry is often medical alert bracelets for women.
What are Medical Alert Bracelets?
Medical identification jewelry, or medical alert jewelery, as it is also called, has been around for decades and is a life-saver for those who suffer from chronic or rare medical conditions. Individuals who have allergies such as drug, food, or insect allergies, and those who are on blood thinners or multiple forms of medication need to wear medical ID in case of an emergency where they cannot speak. There are also many other conditions that make it vital for you or one of your loved ones to wear medical alert bracelets for women.
First responders, nurses, paramedics and other medical and emergency personnel are taught to look for such medical identity when a patient is unconscious, as the information contained thereon could alert them to certain medical conditions or medications that the patient is taking which would contra-indicate various forms of medical assistance. In other words, medical alert jewelry speaks for you when you cannot.
There are many types of medical alert bracelets, which make it easy to get one that suits your style and lifestyle, so that it does not spoil an outfit. There are hand crafted medical alert bracelets for women; Swarovski and freshwater pearl medical alert bracelets; vintage styled medical alert bracelets; wrist watch medical alert bracelets; water proof adjustable medical alert bracelets; sterling silver, gold, and platinum medical alert bracelets; sports medical alert bracelets, and many more styles.
Who should wear Medical Alert Bracelets?
There is a long list of individuals who should wear some form of medical identification, and this includes children and the elderly. If you are not sure whether you should be wearing some form of medical identification, then ask your physician or pharmacist, as they will be able to give you sound advice.
Some of the conditions that would require you to wear medical alert bracelets for women or some other type of medical alert jewelry are:
- Anemia, blood disorders
- Alzheimer’s disease, memory impairments
- Anticoagulant takers (Warfarin)
- Allergies (food, medication, insects etcetera)
- Breast cancer
- Cardiac problems and implants (angina, atrial fibrillation, pacemakers)
- Children with special needs (Autism)
- Chronic Medical Conditions
- Clinical trial participation
- Drug allergies
- Emphysema, breathing disorders
- Epilepsy, seizure disorders
- Food allergies (such as peanut)
- Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Hearing (impairment, cochlear Implant etcetera)
- Heart conditions (including those with pacemakers/stents etcetera)
- Hearing, visual or mental impairments
- Kidney failure
- Lap Band Patient
- Lymphedema Alert
- Manic Depression
- Memory Impairments
- Organ Transplant recipients
- People taking multiple medicines
- Rare disease/Blood Type
- Stroke risk
- Surgery, transplant and cancer patients
- Pulmonary conditions (asthma, COPD)
- Sickle Cell Anemia
- Tourette’s Syndrome
- Von Willebrandâs
As there are new conditions emerging every day, it is impossible to list them all, so if you think there may be some reason that you or any of your family should be wearing medical alert bracelets for women, rather check first to be sure.
How Medical Alert Bracelets Work
Medical alert bracelets for women serve to alert the medical personnel attending to you about conditions they should be aware of when you are not in a position to speak for yourself. The most crucial details, such as “Allergic to Penicillin” are etched in to the jewelry, together with a membership number.
The best type of medical jewelry is the type that is from an international company like MedicAlert, which is attached to an online medical registry which has a 24/7 toll-free hotline. This means that the medical personnel can instantly phone the hotline and get more detailed information on your condition no matter where you are in the world, and this is what could very well make the difference between life and death for you. Information is kept in very safe and secure circumstances and the staff has medical terminology knowledge so information that is divulged is accurate.
Be wary of “copycat” bracelets which, although they may contain certain information on the actual jewelry are not attached to any online medical registry and therefore not much use in an emergency situation.
Benefits of Medical Alert Bracelets
Drug interactions can be life-threatening or even fatal, especially in an emergency situation where other factors may already pose a risk to an individual. We never know when a tragedy will strike, and when caught in an emergency situation where we may not be able to self-report being on certain drugs or treatment due to distress or unconsciousness, the medical alert bracelet will speak for us.
Medical alert bracelets for women that are connected to an online medical registry will allow the emergency medical personnel to go straight to source to access vital medical information, current medical care, and even the patient’s medical care team; doctors, nurse practitioners, psychiatrists, psychologists and other caregivers. The ability to get hold of this type of information quickly may be the difference between life and death.
Some emergencies such as plane crashes or automobile accidents make it very difficult to identify individuals who are either unconscious or dead, and Medical alert bracelets for women are often a great help in identifying these individuals and accessing insurance information and contact details for next-of-kin. An online registry could provide documentation, scans, and even documents pertaining to end-of-life status, such as living wills and donor cards.
Patients who have had surgery in the past and those with neurological disorders or other long-term medical histories often present a unique problem in emergency situations and are unable to speak for themselves. This creates a problem of diagnosis and the use of drugs, as some drugs could be contra-indicated. If medical personnel can access the required information via an online registry they will be in a better position to know what caused the patient to pass out and will also know what they should not do. A good example of this is medical alert bracelets for women that warn that the woman is a breast cancer survivor and as such is at risk for lymphedema and should not be injected in the arm.
Types of Medical Alert Bracelets for Women
Women dress differently to men, and as such wearing an ugly medical alert bracelet is often frowned upon as it may hook on their clothing or spoil the designer outfit they have on. This has created a problem over the years as many women who should have been wearing a medical alert bracelet did not do so and some paid with their lives for their vanity.
Fortunately these days there are many medical alert bracelets for women that have been specifically designed to overcome the above-mentioned problems. No matter what type of a woman you are, you are bound to find a medical alert bracelet to suit you and your lifestyle. Here are a few examples:
- Awareness Medical ID Bracelets – Just because you do not have a medical condition does not mean that you cannot wear a medical ID bracelet. Awareness bracelets are a wonderful way to show your support for a particular medical condition, such as breast cancer whilst also ensuring that you have your identification and next-of-kin contact details somewhere where they can be seen in case of an emergency.
- Colorful Beaded Medical ID Bracelets – These bright and cheerful medical alert bracelets are perfect for women with a bright cheerful disposition and who dresses accordingly. They are also perfect for young girls as they look wonderful on with colors that pop and designs that are modern and young.
- Gold Medical Alert Bracelets – Gold is a precious metal that has long been admires by women, and those that do not like fancy or silver medical alert bracelets may feel more comfortable wearing gold medical alert bracelets for women. These bracelets combine safety with style, and only the best materials are used, so you can still look good whilst protecting yourself in the case of an emergency.
- Handcrafted Medical ID Bracelets – Hand crafted medical alert bracelets are designed and crafted by hand using only the best quality sterling silver and contain some beautiful designs along with your vital medical information and contact details for your next-of-kin.
- Inspired Medical ID Bracelets for Women – These hand crafted sterling silver medical alert bracelets for women are inspirational and unique in that apart from the vital medical information that is inscribed on yours, you can also include a favourite quote for inspiration.
- Leather and Cotton Medical Alert Bracelets – Investing in braided leather and cotton medical alert bracelets is the greatest way to stick with your regard for nature whilst not giving up the life-saving jewelry that you should be wearing. These bracelets are made with genuine leather cord or cotton and feature sterling silver crimps and clasps.
- Medical Alert Ankle Bracelets – For those women who work with their hands and fear that their medical alert bracelet may get in the way, get caught up in machinery, or otherwise impede their actions, there are now medical alert ankle bracelets, which can look very sexy and elegant, especially when worn to the beach.
- Natural Stone Medical Alert Bracelets – If you are more of a natural sort of girl, then you may prefer these beautiful medical alert bracelets featuring natural gems such as Black Onyx, Tourmaline and Turquoise, combined with sterling silver Bali beads.
- Pearl Medical Alert Bracelets – If you are a classic pearls girl then these bracelets will get your heart racing. No need to give up on fashion with these great medical alert bracelets, as they can be found in various designs. Many of the pearl medical alert bracelets for women feature Swarovski crystal beads and Swarovski crystal pearls combined with sterling silver. Great attention is paid to quality, details and design in these attractive, tasteful, and trendy creations.
- Stainless Steel Medical Alert Bracelets – Stainless steel medical alert bracelets for women are fantastic for the woman who uses her hands a lot and is scared that the products with which she works may stain or damage the medical alert bracelet. These bracelets look great with custom engraving.
- Sterling Silver Medical Alert Bracelets for Women – The sterling silver medical ID bracelets are crafted from the highest quality materials by the finest hands in the business, and offer some elegant touches to what could be just another indistinct piece of jewelry.
- Swarovski Crystal Medical Alert Bracelets – These bracelets are the ultimate in glamour for the lady who loves to sparkle, and a medical alert bracelet that contains Swarovski Crystals provides just enough sparkle with the vital medical information to satisfy any “bling queen’s” needs.
- Vintage Medical Alert Bracelets – These medical alert bracelets for women take us back to the days of elegance, vintage beads, lace and charm, and are well suited to the woman who loves this era and dresses accordingly and very elegantly. This line includes bracelets made from antiqued copper, bronze, brass and silver, and may include precious gemstones.
Medical alert bracelets provide vital information even in non-emergency medical situations, such as in hospitals where there are tedious processes for transferring paperwork and records from one facility to another. Many health databases only provide information within a small network of health care facilities, but an online medical registry can potentially provide fast and efficient access to a patientâs information to any facility. Registering with an online medical registry can make the process of transferring medical information or even dealing with the medical insurance far easier.
Medical alert bracelets for women need not just be ugly pieces of jewelry that you are forced to wear for medical reasons, but can be awesome additions to your jewelry box when you buy a bracelet that is suited to your style.